|Teach students about their therapy goals with this back to school craft.|
Back to school is a great time to review speech therapy goals with your students.
It’s so helpful when students have a clear understanding of what they’re working on in speech therapy. When someone asks my student “What do you do in speech?” I hope they can say “I work on___ .” That’s so much better than the typical answer, “We play games.”
Don’t get me wrong, I love using motivational games, but students need to know why they’re coming to see me each week! Knowing what they’re working towards helps students get more focused, more invested and gives them a greater sense of accomplishment when they make progress.
Welcome your students back to school in style with this fun speech therapy backpack craft.
Here are the steps to make your backpack. Pretty simple!
- Download the free templates for this activity in my store HERE
- Print the Welcome Back to Speech label on white paper
- Print the Name label in a fun color if you like, to match the straps.
- Cut out 2 straps per student of the brightly colored paper. I made mine about 1 1/2 inches wide and the length of the paper. (I’ve included a printable template page for the straps, or you can just cut your own.)
- Cut out a skinny strap about 6″ long and 3/4 of an inch wide.
- Round the top two corners of your construction paper with your scissors.
OK, Now it’s time to put your backpack together!
- Glue the Welcome Back and Name Labels as shown.
- Fill in your labels as you discuss each student’s goals. Have them verbalize what they are working on, and write it if they are able.
- Glue one end of the long strap to the back of the backpack as shown. give it a twist (see the completed backpack below) and glue the end to the back of the backpack.
- Glue the top loop on, give this one a twist also.
There are two versions of the Welcome Back to School Label
|Download this Back to School activity in my store HERE.|